Saturday, August 13, 2011

Darn Those Shiny Brownies!

It's Saturday and I was up before the sun was even close to being over the mountains!
I know! Did something FREEZE or FLY by? 

I pulled on my Vibrams,

plugged in the tunes, covered my ears with my Buff (so that those ear buds would STAY PUT! I just can't seem to find any that'll stay there through my runs & sweat),
I set my GOAL for my run, and w/determination locked in, I set out for 55 minutes of ME time.
It was a chilly 60 degrees this morning (I love living up North).
So refreshing..ahhhh
Usually this is the point when I hit PLAY to get the groove going and hopefully find THE ZONE.
But after reading an article on listening to music during runs, 
I decided to put it to the test.
I'm a CAT runner.
A wha?!
A Cat runner. I'm all business during my runs. 
 I don't socialize. 
I don't like to be bugged. It's ME time.  
Meow!
Dog runners like to socialize during runs. 
Although I am a Dog Person, I'm NOT a Dog Runner.
I like running with people, just silently.
I also run through my neighborhood and see my neighbors often...
which means they want to say Hi. 
And so do I...but if I'm out for a run that's all you'll get from me.
There's lots of distractions during runs too.
Like cat calls, 

helpful advice from spectators "Pick it up!" or "Your forms all wrong" etc etc...

All things I'd like to block out during ME time.
But what do you do?
ME? I plug in some tunes.
Headphones tell people you can't hear them...hopefully.
Another PLUS, you can ignore the spectators.
And the beat pumps me up when I'm slowing down.
But according to the article I read, running w/out music (on the road)
 helps you stayed tuned in to what's going on with your body. 
Your overall performance is supposed to be better. 
You say it'll help my run...I'll test your theory...if I think it works for me.
And although I was skeptical they were RIGHT!
I keep my ear buds in to block out the distractions but I don't play any music.
My breathing and feet are all I hear.
I can go for longer, and my breathing helps me zone out better!
I press play when I'm cooling down. 
This works for me 
I feel so much better after my runs!
But, if I'm cross training you'll be hearing 'Gold Digger' or 'Just Dance' 
blaring outta my ears. 
The dogs were SUPER happy to see me when I walked through the door too.
"SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" 

Their bodies go into convulsions, paws bouncing, tails whacking walls.
The idea is to let the family SLEEP IN on Saturdays! 
Shush! 
Thankfully, no one was phased. * PHEW *
After getting rid of that stinky salty-ness from my skin, I entered the kitchen 
with the air still full of early morning glow,
I soon found my stomach demanding some attention.
* Grrrrrowl *
AND THEN
Something SHINY!
Whaaaa? OH!!! 
They were yesterdays brownies!
Shiny? Yes. It was the silver metal protecting it from tiny hands!
And there were a few tiny, wonderful, mouth watering, pieces left!

"Just a taste. After all, you did go running this morning"
DARN those shiny brownies!
Internal monologue w/that lil Devil on my shoulder
seems to last forever but is only a BLIP in reality.
Of course my hand obeys my stomach and the easy access to something delicious! 
And they were OH SO YUMMY!
I really don't remember them being THAT good yesterday... 
Hmmmm...
Must be the kind of thing that tastes better the next day.
Thankfully I don't have many NEMESIS' these days.
Pepsi Max? Nope! 
It didn't happen on purpose. 
My diet improves with exercise. 
I crave water and veggies and fruits.
But I still don't "Diet". 
If I want a DP, I have one.
If I want Ice Cream, you best believe I'm shooting over to Macey's to get a King Kong Frozen Yogurt!
But my body naturally regulates my appetite. 
And it doesn't hurt that the Angel on my other shoulder reminds me
 that if I drink water and eat better my runs will be better.
I do have one Nemesis that I can't seem to conquer though.
Whaaaa?
If you don't want to look it up,
It's the cushion between your Achilles Tendon and the bone.
It gets irritated, inflamed and hurts like the dickens.
Yes, the DICKENS!
Runners have one fear that dominates the rest...
INJURY!
It'd be less of a problem if I wasn't training for the Vegas Ragnar in October.
I'd rest more.
But I need to train. 
I'm finally able to run 3 1/2 miles before feeling it.
This is great!
Injury...def No Bueno!
Argh!
Do any of you have experience with this kind of injury?
I'm still able to run but it's painful and makes it hard to ZONE OUT and really
enjoy ME time! 
I would LOVE your input! 

OH!
I forgot to mention that I ran 3 1/2 miles before having to walk b/c of this stinkin' pain
in my feet! 
Crippling pain!
I headed out intending on doing at least 5 1/2.
Not bad but...
I've been training for 10 wks now. 
It's been going great! 
Hoping I can continue to improve





No comments:

Post a Comment